Friday, February 15, 2008

keeping chaste has its rewards

Reading Pamela's letters made me fustrated to a certain point. I wanted to shout at her and ask her why is she so naive. She made herself vulnerable to her master. Her parents constantly warn her about the master but she believes that he is doing her innocent good by giving her his mother's garments. She should have immediately thought something when he no longer wanted her to go to Lady Davers. She says " I always thought my young master a fine gentleman, as everybody says he is: But he gave these good things to us both with such A Graciousness, as I thought he look'd like an angel" (18). She is always associating this man with the word good. All of a sudden he makes a move on her and she calls him evil. I would have to say that I do admire the fact that she keep her chasity under hard circumstances. This is what rewarded her in the end and she remain virtuous. She reminds me of myself as a little girl. My mother always had these morals that a girl should not let herself go until she was married. Parents constantly ingrain this in their children, and this allows children to constantly question themselves-I hope Im not looking easy by doing this etc...Pamela was worried about not looking easy! I

No comments: